Comment on page
- instead of working back from a goal, work forward from promising situtions. That is, look at the options that you have now and choose those the will give you the most promising range of options afterward
- your first task in life should be figuring out what are you interested in, curiosity turns work into play
- It's worse than you think - When you stumble upon a problem, ask yourself "What if this situation is even worse than I thought?". Often the things are not even very hard but impossible. The author argues that realising that the situation is completely hopeless let's you unclench and relax.
- Life Is Not Short - Life is not short, the real issue is that we waste so much of it. We wouldn't let anyone steal our property but we let others steal our time.You should live your life intentionally, instead of having your time stolen from you little by little. You should organize each day as if it were your last, so that you neither need to long for nor fear the next day. You should avoid spending time on people and things that don’t really matter to you.
- Treat fines like payments
- Ignore what’s on the jobs page and directly pitch someone at a company on hiring you
- Negotiate for better terms in your job offer - easier than asking for higher salary
- What is your time really worth to you? - tool that helps you estimate how much money each hour is worth to you, so that you can make wiser decisions about how to spend that time.
- my estimated value of free time is €39 per hour
- As I age, I've learned to distinguish "not being excited" (languor) and "being tired" (exhaustion), which to my younger self felt like the same thing. The former is not always caused by a lack of energy, but also excessive idleness, especially if I'm doing things that requires attention but also isn't intellectually stimulating.
- Assume Good Motives
- we need stimulation of disagreement
- question other's information, reasoning, and conclusions — but never their motives
- Remind, Not Tell
- recognition of error and its examination is a sure way to avoid its being repeated